Villa Hügel was built between 1870 to 1873 by Alfred Krupp and was intended to be a residence for himself and his family. The building has 269 rooms and is surrounded by a spacious garden. As reputed industrialists, the Krupp family hosted a number of celebrations and festivities at Villa Hügel that were attended by men of power. Currently, the Villa is owned by Alfried Krupp von Bohlen und Halbach-Stiftung and houses an exhibition on the history of the Krupp family and of the house. Villa Hügel is open to visitors and guided tours are available. The property is also used as a concert venue and comprises a park and a museum.