University of Würzburg was established in the year 1582, the same year in which the university got its church, the imposing Neubaukirche. The magnificent Renaissance structure was built to the designs of Julius Echter. In the 18th Century, it underwent extensive remodeling, with its new interiors being funded by the Prince Bishop Philipp Greiffenclau. In 1945, it was heavily bombed during World War II. Today, it no longer remains an active house of faith but, serves as an elegant venue for conferences, concerts and other festive celebrations.