Altes Spital Solothurn as per records dates back to the 14th Century. It was erected as a hospital but in 1734 became an orphanage, only to become a hostel for talented artists in the late 18th Century. It underwent a lot of change in its structure during these times as it was still a working hospice with a huge west wing for other uses. However with the emergence of a new hospital in 1930, it fell into disrepair. In 1984 it was restored by the local municipality and converted the west wing into a beautiful convention and cultural center. The remaining complex is now a hotel and restaurant which is linked to this place.