The Araujo Vianna auditorium has been an essential element of Porto Alegre's cultural life since 1927. The theater first opened in a different building, and it's been on its current location since 1964. Originally built in the park as an amphitheater, it has been through several renovations in the past five decades, gaining its characteristic "big top" roof in 1996. The latest renovation (2010-2012) modernized the auditorium and established a partnership between local government and private enterprises so that the venue can receive a higher standard of events. In addition to the main auditorium, the building also houses the City Band and Coordination of Music, and the Radames Gnattali Room, a multipurpose space with capacity for up to 120 people.