This area is situated on one side of Montjuïc Mountain. Its history dates from the 19th Century, when a lot of poor people couldn't afford to live inside the city walls. They built barracks and shanties and set themselves up here, and in 1887 the urbanization of the Poble Sec quarter began. The name Poble Sec (Dry Town) comes from the lack of fountains, and thus water, in the area. The first fountain was installed in 1894, bringing joy into the quarter. At the end of the 19th Century and the beginning of the 20th, it was quite an industrial part of town, as can be seen by the three chimneys of the La Canadenca electricity company, which are still standing.