This towering baroque construction was built on the request of Emperor Karl the Sixth. In 1713, he resolved to commission the construction of a church, if the terrible plague epidemic should cease. Once the epidemic had been stamped out, Vienna's most magnificent baroque church was duly erected, according to the designs of architect Johann Fischer von Erlach. The dome-shaped roof, which stands 72 meters (236.22 feet) high, is reminiscent of Roman designs. The interior of the church benefited from the work of distinguished baroque artists such as Johann Michael Rottmayr, Sebastiano Ricci and Lorenzo Matielli. The area directly in front of the church was renovated with a sculpture by Henry Moore and a pond.