A bronze statue of George Washington welcomes visitors to historic Federal Hall Memorial. It is located on the site of the original city hall where George gave the country's first inauguration as the President of the United States. The original building was demolished in 1812 and the present building was erected between 1834-1842 as the United States Customs House and in 2004 the edifice received an extensive renovation. It is one of the finest examples of classical architecture that survives in the city. Inside visitors will find historical exhibits and a copy of the Bill of Rights is also on display. Admission is free.