The Belvedere is comprised of two baroque mansions facing each other across a garden. Prince Eugène of Savoy purchased some land beyond the city walls upon which he ordered a park with elaborate water features and fountains to be built. Later, the Prince had Lukas von Hildebrandt build the Lower Belvedere for his personal use, with its beautiful Marmorsaal (marble hall), the Prunkgalerie and the Spiegelsaal (mirror hall). Then by 1717, the work on the Upper Belvedere had begun. The work of filling the walls of the Upper Belvedere with frescoes was given to artists like Francesco Solimena, Gaetano Fanti and Carlo Carlone. Though damaged by the Second World War, the building today has become a major symbol of Germany's glorious past thanks to the reconstruction work dating back to as early as 1945.