Pennsylvania Avenue plays host to Presidential parades, political protests and various marches. In 1965, the Secretary of the Interior marked Pennsylvania Avenue as a national historic site. It encloses the avenue between the Capitol and the White House a few blocks farther. This was the first downtown avenue to have shops, markets and a financial district in the 19th century, but by the 20th century, it became an eye sore. In 1892, it was saved from degradation with the construction of a new post office at 12th Street, which became a landmark building. Designed in Romanesque style, it also has a 315-foot (90-meter) tall clock tower. The District Building came up later at 14th Street in Beaux Arts style, a landmark that is now a government office.