A place enlivened by vivid sights, sounds and smells, the Lau Pa Sat market lies cradled amid the urbane cacophony of downtown Singapore. Also known as Telok Ayer Market, this distinctive octagonal-shaped structure was built in 1894 out of cast iron from Glasgow. It was designed by Municipal Engineer James MacRitchie, and served as the only market in the city then. A national monument of Singapore, the historical structure was leased to Scotts Holdings, which commercialized the area into a maze of souvenir stalls and food outlets as it can be seen today. An array of food stalls serving delectable local cuisine are peppered across the market which is complete with a glorious clock tower, sharp arches, elegant Victorian columns and intricate filigree artistry. A striking amalgam of history, architecture and traditional cuisine, this market is one of the most treasured possessions of Singapore.