Completed in 1885, Peterskirche now provides a haven for no less than 2100 members who attend its many services. The church has a long and interesting past. In 1877 the town proposed a contest between architects over who could design the ideal church. Undecided between two plans, the town chose the two architects August Hartel and Constantin Lipsius, who combined their ideas into one ultimate gothic design. During World War II the building suffered extensive damage and stood for 10 years without a roof. Currently the church is open year-round and hosts numerous seminars, meetings, choirs and celebrations.