The Hippodrome in the neighborhood of Palermo opened its doors in 1876, with typical architecture of the Belle Époque period. Its elliptical shape contours the three racetracks. In 1908, a grandstand and tree-shaded areas, lakes and Carrara marble sculptures were added for a touch of elegance. The renowned 3000-metre distance Gran Premio República Argentina and the 1600-metre Gran Premio de las Américas are the outstanding annual races held here. The grandstand frequently fills with crowds. There is a cafeteria on the grounds as well.