The industrial installations of a former gas factory have been transformed by the Municipality of Athens into one of the city's major cultural venues. The construction of this complex started in 1862 in order to provide street lights to the city and to supply households and factories with energy. The gradual replacement of gas by electricity finally led to the closure of Gazi, as the Athenians call the factory, and its transformation into an arts venue. Numerous exhibitions are held here, including some large-scale art installations. The Gazi complex also hosts concerts, readings and other cultural activities.