This cave is located at the extreme northern tip of Eleuthera, where the first settlers of the island got shipwrecked in 1648. The 70 brave souls were fleeing England to seek religious freedom. They would find it but not in the manner they had hoped. After losing everything from their wrecked vessel, the William, the people took refuge in this cave, and they decided to build an altar here where the light was good. The settlers tried to establish a community here, but the land proved untenable. They returned to Bermuda in 1657.