This part of New York has been inhabited since former Dutch mayor Stephanus Van Cortlandt constructed his house in 1671. The initial incarnation of the today's structure was constructed in 1719 as a residence, but in 1762 Samuel Fraunces purchased the property. When Fraunces relinquished the property in 1785, it subsequently had several owners and suffered a couple of devastating fires in 1832 and 1852. In 1907, the building was completely restored and the Fraunces Tavern Museum and Pub opened. The museum focuses mainly on American and revolutionary fine and decorative art and houses a large collection of Washingtonian artifacts. Come visit the place where the political greats once frequented and revel in the great history and aura around this museum.