The Deutsches Haus is an impressive hall-like edifice below the southern Old Town. It was built in 1927-30, and served to express the gratitude of the German Reich for Flensburg's decision to stay with Germany (instead of Denmark) – there is an inscription engraved above the main entrance. In 1920, the majority of the population voted for the city to remain German. The architects Ziegler and Rieve had the red brick complex built as a kind of fusion between the Bauhaus and the regional architectural style with expressionist décor on the façade. In former times, the Mühlenteich (mill pond) used to be located here. Today, Deutsches Haus offers several halls and function rooms for cultural events like the Schleswig-Holstein Music Festival and concerts of the Bach-Choir, as well as the Rieve restaurant.