The renovation of the former Opera House, which was started in 1959 by the Dorf architect Bernhard Pfau, lasted for more than a decade. The official opening of the Düsseldorfer Schauspielhaus was commemorated with a performance by Georg B's Danton's Tod on 16th January 1970. The Kleine Haus (Small House) as well as the Gro Haus (Large House) also opened to the public. While the Gro Haus offers a classic repertoire, the Kleine Haus is more, as before, an experimental stage. Under the leadership of one of Germany's only female artistic directors, Anna Badora, productions of well known directors, such as S Wortmann or Einar Schleef take place in both houses.