An outstanding exemplar of Gothic architecture, this cathedral looms large above Edinburgh's Old Town, calling attention with its grand crown steeple. The church is steeped in a long and storied history that began nearly a millennia ago. Although there has been a church on this site since 1854, the earliest remains to be found in St Giles' Cathedral are four pillars which date from about 1120. In 1385 the church was destroyed by an English army but soon afterward rebuilt in greater splendor. In 1460 the roof was raised and the main body of the church extended eastwards. The intricate spire was completed in 1495 and St Giles' was declared a Presbyterian cathedral. The Chapel of the Knights of the Thistle, built in 1911 for the Order of the Thistle, is particularly beautiful: each Knight's stall is carved in wood with an impressively intricate touch.