There are very few medieval buildings left in Berlin and Zitadelle Spandau is one of the rare survivors. Designed in 1562 by Italian architect Francesco Chiaramella de Gandino in the style of a French fortress, construction was finally completed 34 years later by Count Rochus zu Lynar. Awash in coral shades, the fortress was built to protect the town of Spandau and is encompassed by mirror like waters of the Havel River. Considered to be one of the finest examples of Renaissance military architecture that remains today, the Kommandantenhaus (Commander's House) of the fortress has been converted into a Museum of Local History (Stadtgeschichtliches Museum Spandau). Art exhibitions and open air concerts of Citadel Music Festival are also organized on the fortress' grounds.