Schöneberg's best-known landmark was erected in 1911-14. The imposing city hall played a pivotal role in post-war politics, housing West Berlin's government between 1949-90. In 1950, the United States donated a copy of the famous Liberty Bell in Philadelphia to the city, to celebrate the end of the Soviet blockade. This bell still hangs in the city hall's tower. Yet Rathaus Schöneberg is best-known as the place, where JFK proclaimed in front of 1.4 million Berliners "Ich bin ein Berliner." Kennedy was (and still is) revered as a hero by the people of Berlin. After his assassination in 1963, the square in front of the city hall was renamed John F. Kennedy Platz.