Spanning the Avon Gorge, arching above the waters of the mighty river, the Clifton Suspension Bridge has come to be a spectacular symbol of the city. Designed by John Hawkshaw and William Henry Barlow and completed in 1864, this bridge is set against a backdrop of splendid cliffs, making it a picture-perfect icon of both romanticism and engineering finesse. The Clifton Suspension Bridge is a marvelous feat of engineering indeed, with its structural and strategic layout, as well as the grandiose design of the towers that uphold it. This magnificent bridge not only affords views of the gorge, but also way across Clifton. Nearby, the Suspension Bridge Visitor Centre extensively chronicles the bridge's history and struggles. Open through the day, the bridge is especially striking when it is set alight against the ink-black sky at night.