Bowood is a perfectly proportioned Georgian building, however, there used to be the Big House and the Little House, which in 1770 were joined together by an enormous drawing room. By the end of WWII, the Big House had become so dilapidated that the present Marquess had it demolished in 1955, leaving the Little House. Bowood as it now exists is hardly a poor remnant, however. Surviving Adam portions include the magnificent Diocletian wing, containing a splendid library, the laboratory where Joseph Priestley discovered oxygen. Exhibition rooms show family treasures and as the family were knowledgeable and avid collectors, the collections are more than worthwhile and include superb collections of watercolors, miniatures and jewelery. Admission rates for children vary. Do check the site.