Glasgow Green became a public park in 1857, after centuries of tumultuous functionality. Home to the People's Palace and Winter Gardens, and adjacent to the beautiful Templeton's Carpet Factory, the green has a marvelous history. As one of Scotland's oldest parks, it has seen its share of political agitation, executions, gang fights and other excitement over the years, but now serves mainly as an ample space for leisure and quiet reflection. The park is also used as a venue for demonstrations and special events, such as the Gig on the Green. Many famous local and national dignitaries are commemorated here by sculptures and memorials, such as the McLellan Arch, the Doulton, Collins and James Martin Fountains and the Nelson Monument.