Ormeau Park, the oldest park in the city, was the first public park opened with a grand ceremony by the Belfast Corporation in 1871. Remaining one of Belfast's largest parks, this is a leafy refuge from the rush of the city. It lies alongside the Lagan river and is only minutes away from the University. It has two well-equipped children's playgrounds, bowling greens, sports pitches and a variety of trees and parklands, as well as beautifully kept seasonal flowerbeds. The Belfast Indoor Tennis Arena is situated within the grounds and the park borders Ormeau Golf Club.