Opened in 1991, the American Independence Museum is located on a quiet street off the Squamscott River, and preserves the glorious past of the United States through its exhibits. The historic museum spans an area of one acre (0.40 hectares), within which it houses two separate buildings - the Ladd-Gilman House that was built in 1721, and the 1775-dated Folsom Tavern. In 1985, a rare copy of the Declaration of Independence called the Dunlap Broadside was procured from within the floorboards of the house. The American Independence Museum was then declared open to the public, with the Dunlap Broadside serving as the focal exhibit, while the rest of the collection consists of 18th century weaponry, letters and period furniture. Each year, the museum hosts the Revolutionary War, where the past reading of the Declaration is re-enacted for the public.