This event will be held in a socially distanced setting at CAST. Should the event be unable to proceed in person, we will deliver a Virtual CPD training in place. If you have any special accessibility requirements please get in touch via email@example.com.
Our creative and interactive training sessions invite teachers to collaborate and explore the Create and Design programme together. To ensure the required number of attendees we ask all teachers to sign up with a deputy who will step in for you, should you not be able to attend. Both you and your deputy may attend, just let us know if this is likely to be the case.What is Create and Design?
Create and Design (previously known as Design and Make) is an entirely FREE learning programme for KS2. Aligned to the National Curriculum framework for Design & Technology, it aims to open a window on the world of Ballet and theatrecraft.
Children are introduced to the ballet, Alices Adventures in Wonderland, and are inspired to develop their own concept for a stage set model for the ballet. Following a live brief from Director of The Royal Ballet Kevin OHare and a 10-week scheme of work (available on our online Learning Platform), the students will follow the design process from start to finish.
· Follow the Six Stages of Design researching, playing with ideas and experimenting with materials as they develop their own original ideas.
· Explore practical modelling skills, designing and making in 3D, improving skills such as manual dexterity, concentration and perseverance.
· Access the Maths and Science curriculum as they make models by learning how to work in scale and solve problems using a range of materials.
· Produce a sketchbook of their research-led ideas, developing skills of personal expression and visual literacy as they work towards a final model box for a scene in the ballet.
· Develop their speaking and listening skills by presenting their work to their peers, reflecting and justifying their design choices.
· Select and refine a final design, making a final scale model for the ROH stage.
Attend this FREE CPD session with a professional stage designer designed to inspire your practice, as well as introduce the Create and Design resources and scheme of work. During the session you will get to know the ballet, try out some class activities and get hints and tips for your delivery.Create and Design's Covid-19 adaptations
For schools facing curriculum time pressures, we are recommending our Explorer (5-week lesson plan) schemes of work, with an emphasis on the quality and not quantity of creative work being produced.
You can start the 10-lesson scheme of work whenever you want and share your class outcomes with us in the summer term at our celebration event. Sign up FREE to the Royal Opera House Learning Platform, where you can access the full range of Create and Design resources.