Tampere lies on an isthmus between two lakes. The difference in altitude between these two lakes is about 18 metres, and the water flows from lake Näsijärvi to lake Pyhäjärvi through the Tammerkoski rapids. This way, extraordinarily beautiful scenery is there, right in the very heart of Tampere. The name Tammerkoski is among the oldest Finnish names in the area, and it is first mentioned in official documents from 1405. The vicinity of the Tammerkoski rapids was a famous and busy marketplace since the seventeenth century, and when the vicar of Lempäälä, Eerik Edner (1718-1799) suggested at the Stockholm parliament that a market town should be established close to the Tammerkoski rapids, his suggestion gained widespread support. Also King Gustav III noticed the beauty of the Tammerkoski rapids when he was visiting Finland in 1775, and so the city of Tampere was established on 1 October 1779. The young city started to grow next to the rapids, and the indus try was developed. The power plants (Finlayson, Tampella and Liljeroos) built at the Tammerkoski rapids were enough to provide the energy needed by the growing city until 1916. The factories that were functioning already in 1870s still dominate the scenery when you look at the Tammerkoski rapids. However, one bit of land was deliberately left empty next to the rapids, already in the charter of the city of Tampere. The lush Koskipuisto park and the park of the old library building still bring joy to the lives of the city dwellers by providing a peaceful, green oasis within the heart of the city.